Braised Bison Steak On A Kaiser Bun
- 1 1/2 lbs trimmed round steak, cut into 1/8 inch thick strips
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 small can tomato sauce (7.5 oz)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp HP steak sauce
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- sauce or gravy thickener
- In a medium-hot saucepan, brown bison strips in canola oil.
- Once brown, transfer meat strips to a small Dutch oven or casserole dish.
- Add all other ingredients, except for the sauce thickener.
- Stir gently to blend. Cover, and place in a 225F oven.
- Cook for 3-4 hours, or until the meat is tender and flavourful. Stir meat 2-3 times while cooking.
- Once meat is tender, remove Dutch oven from the oven.
- Uncover, remove bay leaf, and bring to a boil on the stove.
- Thicken to desired consistency with sauce or gravy thickener as per package directions.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve on Kaiser buns, topped with vegetable condiments of choice.
Copyright 2017 - Bison Basics